August 17, 2017
Welcome to the 2017-18 school year! I hope that you found time to relax, have fun and enjoy your family during the summer break. It was a great pleasure to see your child and you can be assured that the staff, at CSDB, are eager to get another successful year started!
We have some new faces on the high school team. Welcome Zoe Fieldsteel, English teacher, Brian Bobbie, Math teacher and Erica Lovchik, Art teacher. Please join me in welcoming our new staff members!
We will be continuing our Positive Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS) program. PBIS is a critical part of the success for students, and we want to partner with you to assist your child in acquiring the necessary skill set that will help them be successful. We encourage all students to embrace our commitment to demonstrating Positive Attitude, Respect, Independence, Determination and Excellence (PRIDE). I look forward to seeing your child be recognized for their efforts.
We have Accountability meetings on the 1st Wednesday of every month from 5-6:30pm and it is very important you and your child are fully informed regarding CSDB’s Strategic Plan goals.
If we can be of assistance to you, please call or come by the office. We look forward to seeing each and every one of you. Together, we can be the strong team your child needs.
If you have any questions about the rules and expectations, please feel free to contact me or your child’s advocate. It is very important you and your child are fully informed regarding expectations related to appropriate behavior, for a safe and productive school year.
If you would like to be involved at CSDB, please consider volunteering, participating in community events or attending one or more of our parent group meetings.
We thank you for your support.
Cathy Bennett, M.A., Ed.S
High School Principal
Important Information and Reminders
- October 9 – NO School – Columbus Day
- October 21 – HOMECOMING
- October 26 – Evening Parent Teacher Conferences
- October 27 – NO School – AM Parent Teacher Conferences
- November 20-24 – NO School – Thanksgiving Break
- The 9-12th grade art class created a new sign for the art room door. They worked as a team on designing, creating rough drafts, testing different media and producing the final design. They assignment was to create a sign that would show through the door window and not allow light to exit the room.
- The 9-12th technology class created advertisements for various products. They made posters and showcased them in the hall. Students and staff voted to pick the highest quality advertisement.
- All 9-12th grade students participated the Deaf Awareness Day with two guest speakers, Walter VonFeldt and Karl Reddy. These gentlemen talked about work ethics and understand the culture and language of the Deaf. In addition, the high school ASL class is creating videos related to Deaf culture and history. Our drama classes provided a presentation on famous actors/actresses for the high school students.
- The 9-12th high school students will participate into the first kindness club meeting of the year, on September 29th. This is facilitated by counselors, with students leading committees. The committees will focus on developing monthly events, posting information on the bulletin board, and facilitating a team building activity.
- The high school football and volleyball season is underway. The teams are headed to Phoenix, AZ for their homecoming game.
- Several high school students are traveling to Phoenix, AZ (as well) to practice for the Deaf Academic Bowl.