7th – 12th Grade
Welcome to School Year 2018-19!
This year we have several new and exciting changes. We have restructured the School for the Deaf into two departments; preschool through 6th grade and 7th grade through 12th grade. Additionally, we are welcoming several new staff to both teams. All of these changes help us continue our efforts to meet student needs. I am very excited to embrace this new year and all of the successes we have before us!
Principal, School for the Deaf 7th-12th grades
Please check for important information posted on the Upcoming Events tab.
Important Information and Reminders
- August 3 – Registration Day for Pre-School-8th Grade – Gymansium 9:00AM-12:00PM
- August 12 – Registration Day for ALL students – Gymnasium 12:00-5:00PM
- August 13 – First Day of School for ALL students
ASL Honor Society (ASLHS) at Air Academy High School hosted the ASL Event for our high school students at Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind. They focused on critical thinking, Deaf History, and fractions and they also used Clerc and Gallaudet’s “diary” as basic foundation for Breakout Activity and ASL video signed by one of ASLHS students. They enjoyed the challenge and team effort.
High School, Deaf students in US Government and ASL class visited Denver Capitol to meet with Jessie Danielson (Colorado State Rep, House District 24) to discuss the concerns of access and communication barriers for the Deaf community. We also had the opportunity to observe a committee hearing room to learn the process of how the bills are discussed. Chris Haulmark, Deaf candidate for Kansas Congress made the trip to develop a rapport with our students on how to become a better advocate. Ruthie Jordan and Ellen Lentz gave a wonderful ASL poem and expose the importance of having ASL part of our language and how to lobby also to educate people.
High School Deaf students in Life Skills class went to Manitou Springs. We walked to the bus stop in Colorado Springs downtown and they learned how to purchase their bus ticket at the bus stop. The city bus took us and they learned how to make a stop request on the bus to Manitou Springs. We ate at PJ’s Stagecoach Inn for lunch and they learned how to order from the menu independently using communication with the waitress. They also learned about the tax and tip on the bill and they will continue to learn more about how to calculate tip from their food bill. Then we caught the city bus back to downtown and walked back to school. It was such a beautiful day!
We would like to announce the addition of several new members to our School for the Deaf team. Please help us to welcome these new Bulldogs! 😊
- Allison Marcino = Allison is joining us from New Jersey. She will be teaching English/Language Arts to our 7th-12th grade students.
- Carolyn Scott = Carolyn is from Texas. She will also be teaching English/Language Arts.
- Jaimie Valencia = Jaimie comes to us from California. He will be working with all of the School for the Deaf students, in Physical Education.
- Bryan Zigler = Bryan is a native Coloradoan. He worked at CSDB last year, as a long-term substitute in our Family Centered Early Education program. He will be transitioning to working with our older students, in the areas of math and science.