History

With a history spanning more than 150 years, the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind was founded in 1874, two years before Colorado became a state. It began thanks to the persistence of Jonathan and Mary Kennedy who had three children who were Deaf and moved to the Colorado Territory from Kansas. Through Jonathan Kennedy's efforts, on Feb. 13, 1874, the Assembly passed an act to establish a school for students who were Deaf in Colorado Springs. They also appropriated $5,000 for a building. Shortly afterwards, 10 acres of land located on Kiowa Street was donated to the school by the Colorado Springs Company, owned by City of Colorado Springs founder General William Jackson Palmer. School officially began on April 8, 1874, in a rented house in downtown Colorado Springs. There were seven students in attendance, including the Kennedy's three children.
By 1876, the first building opened on the present-day campus. The school provided free education to all students who were Deaf living in Colorado. The building also held dorms where students stayed during the school year. In 1877, the name of the school changed to make way for Blind students to be admitted and by 1883 the first students who were Blind enrolled. The name of the school changed to the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind in 1895.
Browse our timeline to learn more about CSDB's history.
1874 - 1883
1874 - School Founding

Jonathan and Mary Kennedy moved from Kansas to Colorado with their five children, three of whom were Deaf. Jonathan had helped launch the Kansas School for the Deaf and wanted to start a similar school in Colorado. Through his persistence, the Colorado Territorial Legislature passed an act to establish a school for the Deaf in Colorado Springs. They appropriated $5,000 for a building and shortly afterwards the Colorado Springs Company, owned by Colorado Springs founder General William Jackson Palmer, donated 10 acres of land located on Kiowa Street for the school.
On April 8, 1874, school opened in a rented house in downtown Colorado Springs. There were seven students in attendance. Jonathan Kennedy was the superintendent, Mary Kennedy was the matron, and J.P. Ralstin was the principal.
1875

Major Henry McAllister, longtime colleague of General Palmer and Executive Director of the Colorado Springs Company, donated a printing press to the school. This donation allowed students to learn the printing trade by creating a newspaper titled, The Deaf-Mute Index. The first issue was printed on January 30, 1875. Later, the paper’s name was changed to The Colorado Index.
1876
The first building on campus, often referred to as, "Old Main" opened. The building housed students and staff on the upper floor and had classrooms, sitting rooms, and a parlor on the middle floor. The basement contained the dining room, kitchen, storeroom, printing room, and laundry.
1877

The name of the school changed to “Institute for the Education of the Mute and Blind," and discussions began about how to recruit, teach, and house students who were Blind, as well as those who were Deaf.
1879

A south wing was added to the main building.
1881

A north wing was added to the main building.
1883

The first four students who were Blind were admitted. They had a designated teacher for students who were Blind and a music instructor.
1884 - 1900
1885

David C. Dudley who'd been superintendent at the Kentucky School for the Deaf was superintendent at CSDB from 1885 - 1887.
1887

Another former teacher at the Kentucky School for the Deaf, John E. Ray served as superintendent from 1887 - 1894.
1889

On June 4, 1889, David Wolpert, Grace Young, and Paul Hubbard became the first three CSDB graduates.
Graduate Spotlight - Paul Hubbard

Paul Hubbard, attended the National Deaf College in Washington D.C., later Gallaudet University. He joined the football team and as quarterback is credited with the invention of the football huddle. Hubbard came up with the idea when he noticed players from the opposing team could see him signing the next play to his teammates. To prevent this, he called his team into a tight circle to share instructions. This method of huddling up before a play was adopted by other teams and eventually became common practice.
1889
Ground was broken for a dedicated school building. When it was finished, it had 14 classrooms, a large assembly hall, an art room, a printing office, workshops for students who were Blind, playrooms, and study rooms.
That year, a boiler house, steam plant, and an extension to the main building with a kitchen and dining room were also added.
1892

Girls Hall was built. It was two stories tall and in addition to bedrooms, contained playrooms, reading rooms, and a sewing room.
That year, a five-room hospital was also built.
1893

Construction began on an industrial building for teaching various trades. The building was converted into a dorm in 1908 and was renamed Humphrey Hall in 1912.
1894

David C. Dudley served a second term as superintendent from 1894 - 1899.
1895

The name of the school officially became Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind.
1896

Hugh McCabe, Thomas Kavanagh, and Henry Ralston became the first three students who were Blind to graduate.
1899 - Superintendent Argo

In 1899, William K. Argo was appointed superintendent, a position he held for twenty-two years. He effectively saw the school through World War I, the Spanish Flu pandemic, and brought a wave of still-present improvements to the campus. Argo’s parents were Deaf and he had previously taught and served as superintendent at the Kentucky School for the Deaf. In 1894, he moved to Colorado to teach at the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind. Argo took charge of CSDB after Dudley’s passing in 1899 and held the position until his death in 1921.
1901 - 1920
1903

The school’s dairy formed about 3/4 of a mile from the campus, near what is now Pikes Peak and Iowa Avenue. It provided fresh milk for the campus.
Students studying trades like gardening, painting, and carpentry might visit the property to assist with various work like building and painting fences or delivering food for the animals.
1903

General Palmer donated twelve additional acres of land, which extended the property east to Hancock Ave. His intention was for the land to be used for recreation. In 1905, a football field near the edge of the property was named, “Palmer Field,” in his honor. Near this, a baseball diamond and track were added.
1904

One of the cottages on the land donated by Palmer was transformed into a Model Cottage for home economics classes. Girls learned to clean, cook, and host meals at the cottage to demonstrate their skills.
Alumni Spotlight - Bessie Veditz and Lottie Sullivan
In 1904, 17-year-old Lottie Sullivan, the first student who was Deafblind, her teacher and alumna, Bessie Veditz, who was Deaf, and another teacher for Deaf students, Miss Dudley, participated in the St. Louis World’s Fair. For over two months, Bessie and Lottie demonstrated teaching methods for Deafblind students in the World’s Fair education building, while Miss Dudley interpreted. Their exhibit won a gold medal for a Living and Objective Exhibit, and another gold medal was awarded directly to Lottie for excellence and progress in her studies. During their stay at the exposition, they visited the exhibits and Lottie met Helen Keller. She wrote an essay that appeared in the Colorado Springs Gazette, which says the machines were her favorite part. The school was also awarded grand prizes for collective exhibits with other American Instructors of the Deaf and Blind, and Superintendent Argo was awarded a gold medal as a collaborator with American Association of Instructors of the Blind

1906

The oldest remaining campus building, the Admin. Building was added. It housed the administrative offices, library, public parlors, guest rooms, and superintendent’s quarters. The basement also became the school’s gymnasium, complete with lockers.
1906

Lake McDonald was completed at the corner of Pikes Peak Avenue and Institute Street. It became a favored spot for ice skating and frog catching. The lake was removed in 1926 due to the steam plant construction.
1907

1910

The Barn is built to hold the campus’ wagons, tools, and a few work animals.
1912

Designed by Thomas McLaren, Jones Hall construction began in 1912 and was completed in 1913. It was originally named Argo Hall and was a dorm for middle-school boys who were Deaf. The name was changed to Jones Hall (named for board member Asa T. Jones) when the Argo Building was dedicated in 1924.
1918

Palmer Hall was built and named for General Palmer in recognition of the land he donated for the school. High school boys who were Deaf moved in shortly after work was completed in September 1919.
1921 - 1940
1921

Isabella Argo was appointed Superintendent after her husband passed away in 1921. A year later, she died of pneumonia. In her time at CSDB, she served as a teacher and matron at the school as well as assistant superintendent. She was also known for her incredible hospitality.
1922

Dr. Thomas S. McAloney was appointed Superintendent in 1922 and remained in the role until he passed away in 1932. Before coming to CSDB, he was a longtime superintendent at the Western Pennsylvania Institution for the Blind and had worked at several other schools for the Deaf and the Blind. He was influential in starting more extracurricular sports programs for students who were Blind.
1922

The Hubert Work gymnasium (known as the old gym) was dedicated on Nov. 3, 1922, with Hubert Work himself presiding over the ceremony and a presentation by Governor Shoup. Work was president of the Board of Trustees and Postmaster General of the United States at the time. He later became Secretary of the Interior.
1923

Argo Hall was built in 1923 and dedicated in May 1924 at the school’s 50th Anniversary celebration. The building is named for Superintendents William K. and Isabella Argo and their two sons.
1926

The Steam Plant was built. It had boilers, stokers, coal and ash handling machinery, high-quality pumps and engines, and an instrument board. The location and updated machinery allowed coal to be delivered and handled more efficiently.
Alumni Spotlight - Herman Butler

Herman Butler, who was Deaf and Black enrolled in 1928 when he was ten. He excelled in academics, art, and football. According to Herman, he was treated as an equal at CSDB, but was excluded from Gallaudet University, which did not accept students who were Black until the 1950s. In a 1987 news article he notes,
“A long time ago, it was hard to get jobs. People didn’t understand about Deaf people and there was a lot of discrimination. I had two strikes against me; I was Deaf and Black.”
Herman worked at Memorial Hospital and as the head vegetable cook at The Broadmoor before returning to CSDB in 1955. He was a school cook for 30 years. Despite any challenges he faced, throughout his life, he remained positive and encouraged students to learn as much as possible.
1929

Ritter Hall, a dorm and classroom building for elementary students, opened. The building was named for J. Alfred Ritter, a lawyer and CSDB Board of Trustees member for over 20 years from 1919 to 1945. Classrooms were on the lower level of the building and dorm rooms on the upper levels.
1931

Humphrey Hall (originally The Industrial Building) was torn down and George E. West Hall, a dorm and classroom building for students ages 10-13 who are Deaf was built in its place. George West was a Colorado State Senator and member of the CSDB Board of Trustees for over twelve years.
1932 - Superintendent Alfred L. Brown

Alfred L. Brown became Superintendent. He'd taught at CSDB for 16 years between 1912 and 1928 and was a Vice Principal for six years under Superintendent McAloney before accepting a position as president of Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind. While a teacher of the Deaf at CSDB, he coached the football team, supported the En Avant Literary Society and the Experimental Poultry Association, was the first Boy Scout troop leader and led many hikes up Pikes Peak and to Loud’s Canyon in Cheyenne Canyon. He remained Superintendent for over twenty years, retiring in 1954. He is often remembered for leading a square-dancing troupe in the early 1950s made up of students who were Deaf.
1941 - 1960
1942

Girls' Hall was torn down, and a new Girls' dorm was built in the same place. In 1946, the building was named Brown Hall.
1950

1952

The Gottlieb Building was completed. This new building had classrooms for students who were Deaf and students who were Blind and a large auditorium. The basement held practice rooms for orchestra, choir, and piano as well as tuning rooms.
Alumni Spotlight - Bambi Venetucci
Bambi Marcantonio, who was born Blind, enrolled in 1936 when she was seven. Her father, an Italian immigrant, worked in coal mines near Frederick, Colorado. When she was six, she attended one day of public school, but the teacher didn’t know how to instruct her, and she was denied attendance. Through another mine worker, Bambi’s father learned about CSDB. Bambi shares many early memories of school in her book, Dammi La Mano (Give me Your Hand).
Bambi graduated in 1949, and after college, returned to CSDB where she taught for 30 years. In 1984, she was named Colorado Teacher of the Year. “Braille has been a natural part of my life since the age of seven and, in my opinion, the greatest gift to the Blind,” she writes. “Though I have guided many children through the process of learning to read, the joy expressed when the written word became the light of the mind did not lessen during my thirty years of teaching.
In 1984 after 25 years of friendship, Bambi married Nick Venetucci who had a farm outside of town. Among other vegetables, he grew pumpkins. He became well known for inviting children from across the city to his pumpkin patch every fall for a free pumpkin.
1954

Roy M. Stelle was appointed Superintendent. A position he held until 1962.
Stelle had been Superintendent at the Texas School for the Deaf. Previously, he was a teacher and assistant superintendent at the Illinois School for the Deaf, teacher at the Green Bay Wisconsin Day School, and an educator at the Central New York School for the Deaf.
1957

The Infirmary (Student Health Center) replaced the frame hospital building. It included a 16-foot tactile mural created by nationally known sculptor and painter Edgar Britton, which features bronze panels with animals and braille descriptions.
The new state-of-the-art infirmary at CSDB had room for up to twenty students and a clinic with exam rooms, a nurse’s station, and a dentist’s office. The building also included a kitchen and a small dining room.
1961 - 1980
1962

Armin Turechek becomes superintendent. He had been Assistant Superintendent for Instruction at the California School for the Deaf at Riverside where he also served as the school’s first principal. Before this, he taught students who are Deaf at the Indiana School for the Deaf and the Louisville Day School for the Deaf and then served as principal for the Central New York School for the Deaf. He remained superintendent until his retirement in 1973.
1966

The H. Chase Stone Vocational Building is built. Named for a local businessman and board member, the building originally included classrooms for printing (including a dark room for photography), woodworking, upholstery, dry-cleaning, drafting, and a metal shop for auto repair. There was also a business education classroom and shops for Blind and elementary students. A new home economics room with a kitchen replaced the model cottage classroom.
1968
The first preschool for students who are Deaf began. The program was led by the Junior League of Colorado Springs and was held in the basement of Brown Hall two mornings a week. There were 10 students in the first class. Soon after, CSDB hired staff teachers for the program.
1968

The Lions Building opened as a cafeteria, social hall, and snack bar for students who are Blind. It was named Lions Hall to honor the Lions clubs of Colorado in recognition of their service to people who are Blind.
1969

At the start of the 1969 school year, the Adams Building opened as a school building for students who are Blind. It's named for CSDB board of trustee’s member True C. Adams, a prominent business and civic leader. He'd been president of the Lions Club and the Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce. It had nine classrooms, a music room, an auditorium, and a library. 100 lockers were installed, and students marveled, noting they were “Neat! Beautiful! Just like public school!”
1971

A new football field and track was built on the other side of Pikes Peak Avenue.
Alumni Spotlight - Gary Washington
Gary Washington was a track, football, and basketball star. He competed in the Junior Olympics in track and was honored at the White House by President Nixon with the “Most Courageous Athlete” award. Gary has been honored by the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame, the Colorado Coaches Association, and the United States Deaf Sports Federation. In 1973, he went to the Deaflympics in Sweden where he won three gold and one silver medal in track events. He went on to play football at CU Boulder. In his final game, he had a 72-yard run for a touchdown.
1973

Robert Dawson was appointed Superintendent. He’d been principal at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind, and a leader at several other schools for the Deaf.
1975

A bridge over Pikes Peak Avenue was added.
1977

CSDB became part of the Colorado Department of Education. This change recognized that CSDB’s mission aligned with that of CDE and allowed closer connections with schools across the state.
1977 - State Championship Team
CSDB wins the state championship in Class A 8-Man Football.
1981 - Present
1982
Gordon Kaufman was elected Superintendent, a position he held until June 1990. His parents were Deaf, and he was Superintendent at the South Dakota School for the Deaf before arriving at CSDB.
1984

An addition to the gym opened. The Weiner-Galluzzo Multi-Purpose Facility was named after two retired teachers, Abraham Weiner who had low vision and Frank Galluzzo who was Deaf. The addition included a large gymnasium with bleachers, a wrestling room, a two-lane bowling alley, a snack bar, a student center, a room for occupational and physical therapy, and outside tennis courts.
1984

A running track for students who were Blind was built.
1990
Dr. Marilyn Jaitly was appointed superintendent. Superintendent Jaitly received her master’s degree in Social Welfare from the University of Denver in 1974 and began working at CSDB that summer as a counselor and social worker for students and their families. In 1976, she was promoted to Director of the Counseling and Evaluation Center, later called Diagnostic and Related Services. She remained in this position through the 1986 school year. Afterwards, she worked as the Special Education Director for Colorado Springs School District 11 before returning to CSDB.
1990

The Outreach Program was established to serve families with students who were Deaf, Blind, or Deafblind across the state who did not attend CSDB. The program helped school districts, provided opportunities to meet Deaf or Blind role models, and offered diagnostic services, library items, adaptive technology, and social activities for young students and teens. Originally based in Denver, the Colorado Instructional Materials Center moved to campus as part of the Outreach Program in 1991.
1997
An on-campus transition program began. It included independent-living dorms, career development, and the opportunity to attend classes at Pikes Peak Community College (now Pikes Peak State College).
2004

The CSDB Academic Bowl Team won 1st place in the National Academic Bowl competition.
2004

Carol Hilty became superintendent. She was a teacher and principal at CSDB in the School for the Deaf and had been a teacher of the Deaf in Nebraska before that. During her leadership, the school underwent a series of renovation projects to both modernize and preserve the historical integrity of the campus.
2011

The Gottlieb Building was renovated to include a new lobby and front office, a bi-level library, a new science lab, an outdoor classroom, and Deaf friendly spaces. This includes areas with open floorplans and improved lighting for signing throughout the building.
2019

Dr. Nancy Benham was appointed superintendent. She saw the school through the COVID-19 pandemic and initiated the installation of a children’s village of small playhouses on campus.
2024

Tera Spangler was elected superintendent after serving as Interim Superintendent since Spring 2022. She is the first Superintendent who is Deaf in the school’s history. She held a variety of roles at CSDB beginning in 2006. Prior to arriving at CSDB, she taught preschool in Nebraska and worked as an itinerant Teacher of the Deaf.


