April 8, 1874, two years before Colorado became a state, the Colorado Institute for the Education of Mutes opened its doors to seven students, who were deaf. The school accepted students who were blind in 1883, and then changed its name to the Colorado Mute and Blind Institute. Ten years later, the school changed its name to the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind.
After nearly a century and a half, the school has many tales to share. As a part of the birthday celebration, students and staff gathered together recently, to view “CSDB Through The Years”, introduced by Superintendent Hilty, and learn stories from the school’s past.
Click the link below to view the Fox 21 News segment about the 145th birthday of CSDB.