– Important Info for Families
Additional Information for our CSDB Families…
SNOW DAY CLOSURES
Snow Day Closure Process
Winter weather may impact the school schedule and require CSDB Administration to call a school delay or closure. Any decision that affects the status of the school day is based upon the ability of students and staff to safely arrive and navigate on campus.
The residential staff are designated as “essential”. This means, if school is delayed or closed, residential staff will supervise and care for our students until school resumes or until it is safe to send the students home, whichever comes first.
CSDB Administration will make every effort to announce a weather-related delay or closure prior to 6:00 a.m. School closing information will be announced on the CSDB website as well as the following TV stations:
FOX 21 KKTV 11 KOAA 5/30 KRDO 13 KUSA 9
You may sign-up to receive a FlashAlert notice for CSDB weather-related delays by registering at http://flashalert.net/signup.html
Should CSDB decide school will close early due to the weather conditions, CSDB staff will notify parents and their child’s school district so that appropriate transportation arrangements can be made. In the event local school districts decide to close early, the student’s home school district will notify parents and arrange transportation.
- Residential students will be kept on campus in the residential buildings.
- Day students who ride the bus will be provided regular bus transportation to their homes.
- Day students whose parents provide their transportation, will be kept in the residential building that is assigned to each child until a parent is able to pick them up.
In the event CSDB must close on a Sunday, parents of residential students will be contacted as early in the day as possible. In the event a student is already enroute, he or she will be picked up, transported to campus and will stay in a supervised residential building until school reopens. Students already on campus will remain in a residential building.
Please remember Colorado weather can change within hours. Please consider this as your child dresses for the school day.
If you have any questions regarding the above, please contact the Superintendent’s Office at: 719-578-2102.
All CSDB staff members are mandatory child abuse reporters. Anytime a staff person suspects a CSDB student has experienced abuse or neglect, either through admission by the child, or through behavior or physical evidence, it will be reported to the appropriate child protective agency or the police department. If you have any questions regarding child abuse reporting please contact the Director of Special Education, Mr.Jon Vigne.
PARENTS RIGHTS UNDER FERPA
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents certain rights with respect to their minor children’s educational records. They are:
1. The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records.
2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s educational records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
4. The right to file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
5. The right to obtain a copy of the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind’s policy regarding student records. You can obtain a copy of the policy from the administrator’s office in each school, or go to the website: www.csdb.org
As per federal law, all educational records can be shared without parental permission for a student who is enrolling into another school or educational program upon written request from the enrolling educational agency, to comply with any judicial order, lawful subpoena, or other allowable situations.
If you participate in the Student Directory, the information you submit (name, phone number, etc.) becomes public information and can be shared with individuals or agencies that request such information.
Asbestos Status at CSDB Notice to Parents
In accordance with Environmental Protection Agency regulations, the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind (CSDB) is hereby notifying all parents about the status of asbestos at CSDB. This notification continues the school policy of awareness and control. As in the past, our present program objective is the health and safety of students.
CSDB was last inspected for asbestos in December 2013 and asbestos-containing materials were found. However, students are protected from exposure by a perpetual program of control, inspection, and preventative maintenance. Records at CSDB indicate where the asbestos is located and its current condition. These records are available for your review during regular school hours.
CSDB is continuing its program of removal, with available funds, which will eventually result in the removal of all friable and potentially friable asbestos from CSDB. The administration is interested in your concerns and suggestions. Please contact the Mr. Kevyn Brown to discuss your thoughts and concerns regarding asbestos at CSDB.
Kevyn Brown—Designated Asbestos Coordinator