CIMC Book Orders
CIMC Unified English Braille Transition Plan
The Unified English Braille Code:
- The Braille Authority of North American (BANA) voted to adopt the Unified English Braille (UEB) as an official code for the United States in November 2012. One year later, in November 2013, BANA affirmed that January 4, 2016 would be the implementation date of the general use of UEB in the United States, replacing the current English Braille American Edition (EBAE) code.
- The transition from the current English Braille American Edition (EBAE) to Unified English Braille (UEB) has begun within the Colorado Instructional Materials Center (CIMC) with full implementation across all grade levels expected to take several years.
What CIMC will do for the 2018-19 School Year:
- Textbooks previously transcribed will be available in their original codes:
- As vendors begin to accept contracts for the production of UEB formatted books, the CIMC will work towards filling orders for textbooks (not previously transcribed) in:
- UEB format (textbooks in subjects using literary braille such as social studies and language arts)
- UEB with Nemeth format (textbooks in technical subjects such as mathematics and science)
- The CIMC will continue providing EBAE and Nemeth formatted materials for students in upper secondary grades not transitioning to UEB.
April 1, 2018 is the deadline for book orders for the 2018-19 school year:
- Please remember to always use the most current book order form posted to the website.
- The PDF version of the book order form can be printed and filled out by hand or use the fillable Word version to complete the form on your computer (save it before you email it as an attachment). Users can now tab between data fields and clickable boxes have been added.
- We are asking Administrative Units to specify which Braille format is preferred.
A Few Things To Remember:
- If a book has already been produced in EBAE format, the CIMC will provide that format but the school district has the option to braille the book themselves in UEB.
- The CIMC will make our best effort to obtain new transcriptions in UEB for the 2018-19 school year but we cannot guarantee UEB orders because it will be based on vendor availability.
- At this time, Nemeth remains the code for technical subjects. The CIMC does not yet have a commitment from vendors regarding UEB but we will always make the best effort to obtain new productions in UEB with Nemeth Code.
- Take into consideration that Colorado is an Open-Territory which means that curriculum decisions are made by individual school districts and sometimes individual school buildings and teachers within the same district.
- Some school districts are using curriculum with older copyright dates which means they may never be available in UEB format. As newer curriculum is adopted it will be produced in UEB format. Braille production can be labor intensive and time-consuming depending on the type of material and whether or not there are graphics involved. This is why the CIMC asks that book orders be submitted on or before April 1st. Vendors accept contracts for new transcription projects on a first-come first-served basis so the sooner Colorado submits ink print copies for production bids, the more likely we are to obtain the book by the beginning of the next school year. Please note that new productions of Mathematics and Science can take 12 to 18 months to produce.
If you have questions, please call us at: (719) 578-2196.
Book orders for the upcoming school year are due by April 1st of each calendar year.
Textbooks and Novels in braille format:
The CIMC will assist your Administrative Unit (AU) with the acquisition of textbooks and novels in braille format.
Textbooks, novels, and workbooks in braille format checked out of the CIMC inventory are not consumable. If you have a need for a product to be consumable – email your request to CIMC book orders firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting your book order form.
If you would like the CIMC to check the availability of a given book in braille format prior to filling out an order form, simply send an email to CIMC book orders with the following information:
- o Book Title
- o 10-Digit and 13-Digit ISBN (if both are available)
- o Publisher, Copyright Date
The CIMC will then source the title for availability within our own inventory first, then a national database and email you a response.
Workbooks in braille format:
The CIMC will source the availability of a workbook in braille format for you from our own inventory first and then check national databases to see if the workbook is available for purchase from a vendor. If the workbook has been transcribed into braille and is available for purchase, the CIMC will spend budget funding to acquire a reprint for you. If it is not currently available for purchase, the CIMC will not encumber budget funds for the new production of a workbook in braille or large print format.
CIMC Book Order Forms:
+Large Print Books
Book orders for the upcoming school year are due by April 1st of each calendar year.
Textbooks and Novels in large print format:
The CIMC will assist your Administrative Unit (AU) with the acquisition of textbooks and novels in large print format.
Textbooks, Novels and Workbooks in large print format:
The CIMC will source the availability of a textbook, novel, or workbook in large print format for you from our own inventory first and then check national databases to see if a given title is available on loan from another state’s materials center or if it is available for purchase from a vendor. If the title has been produced in large type format by the American Printing House for the Blind (APH) and is available for purchase using Federal Quota funds, then the CIMC will access its available Quota funds to acquire a copy and check it out to your administrative unit for use by Colorado students registered with the CIMC. If it is not currently available for purchase, the CIMC will not encumber budget funds for the new production of a title in large print format. This decision was made with input of the Directors of Special Education in Colorado who met in March and May 2008 at the CDE sponsored Director’s Forum meetings. At that time, the Directors agreed to utilize their own in-district equipment and staff to produce materials in large print format or to use their own funding sources for the purchase of available materials in large print format.
CIMC Book Order Forms:
+What You Need To Do To Return A Book
Guidelines for Returning Books to the CIMC
Verify that all book returns are complete and that there are no damaged or missing volumes. If you are returning a book with missing or damaged volumes please notify the CIMC and make a clear notation on the box label. Box labels should be filled out with the name of the administrative unit, the title of the book, the ISBN number, the volumes that are in the box, and the total number of boxes for each title. If you are in a larger Administrative Unit (AU) the CIMC has provided you with a specific color-coded book return shipping label unique to your AU. The CIMC will provide book return shipping labels to any AU upon request.
More than one book can be shipped in the same box as long as there is a separate box label for each book title affixed to the top of the box. Use a sturdy box and an adequate amount of tape! Most boxed mail is processed using automated machinery. If boxes are flimsy or not taped properly there is a very good chance they will be damaged in shipment and the contents lost. In the past the CIMC has received boxes that blew apart during the shipping process and were unable to recover any volumes that were lost.
Note: As per CIMC procedure, your administrative unit will be charged the replacement cost for lost/damaged books.
It is suggested that each administrative unit maintain a log of when books are shipped and in how many boxes. Detailed information makes tracking down shipments that become lost in the postal system a possibility. If your administrative unit is finished with a book for the semester please return the book to the CIMC. This ensures that the CIMC does not incur unnecessary costs by purchasing duplicate copies of books and prompt return prevents the book from being lost or misplaced within your administrative unit. Please do not return individual volumes of books.
If the CIMC is waiting for your administrative unit to return a specific title because it has been requested by another Colorado AU you will be sent red box labels with your administrative unit, the title of the book, and the ISBN number filled in for you. Use these labels when returning the book to help expedite CIMC’s internal return process. Place the red box label on the outside of the box. In the event that your administrative unit needs to keep a book for a consecutive year, a new order form must be filled out with clear documentation that the book is being retained and submitted prior to April 1st. If you have questions about retaining a book for an additional year please contact the CIMC at 719-578-2196 or email@example.com.
When sending ink print copies of books to be transcribed into braille format please note on the box that it contains an ink print. Please remember ink print copies cannot be sent via Free Shipping for the Blind. Do NOT send ink prints in boxes of braille books you are returning. The CIMC will send a confirmation email to your administrative unit’s appointed contact person when the ink print copy is received. If you do not receive a confirmation email from the CIMC within a week of sending the ink print copy it is important that you follow up with the CIMC by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your order is not considered submitted complete until CIMC receives a copy of the ink print as requested by CIMC staff.
+Contract Language Your District Needs To Use When Purchasing New Curriculum (NIMAS/MathML)
From the Instructional Resource Centers for the Blind and Visually Impaired (IRCBVI) listserve, May 10, 2013: Please pass on to your Sped Directors and those who purchase textbooks in your districts~
New suggested contract language for NIMAS/MathML and digital learning materials
The following is an updated sample statement that could be included in a contract or purchase order that includes NIMAS, MathML and digital learning materials:
By agreeing to deliver the materials marked with “NIMAS” on this contract or purchase order, the publisher agrees to prepare and submit, on or before ___/___/_____ a NIMAS file set to the NIMAC that complies with the terms and procedures set forth by the NIMAC. The publisher also agrees to mark up materials eligible for NIMAS submission that contain mathematical and scientific instructional content by using the MathML3 (refer to latest applicable version) module of the DAISY/NIMAS Structure Guidelines as posted and maintained at the DAISY Consortium web site (Opens new window http://www.daisy.org/z3986/structure/SG-DAISY3/index.html ). Should the vendor be a distributor of the materials and not the publisher, the distributor agrees to immediately notify the publisher of its obligation to submit NIMAS file sets of the purchased products to the NIMAC. The files will be used for the production of alternate formats as permitted under the law for students with print disabilities.
Vendor represents that the materials delivered under this contract or purchase order conform to, at a minimum, the standards for accessibility as set forth in—Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. § 794d), and its implementing regulations (36 C.F.R. § 1194), or Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 (minimum of Level AA conformance).
Should any portion of the materials not conform to the aforementioned standards of accessibility, vendor agrees to provide a written explanation of the reason for non-conformance, and grants permission to create accessible versions for students who meet the appropriate copyright criteria.
This is page __ of __ of this contract or purchase order.
MathML guidance at http://aim.cast.org/experience/technologies/mathml_nimas
In the NIMAS/NIMAC FAQ at http://aim.cast.org/learn/policy/federal/faq
On the local policy page at http://aim.cast.org/learn/policy/local
The CIMC staff is happy to assist you in sourcing the availability of a particular book title in braille or large print format at any time. At a minimum the CIMC will need the following information: title of the book, ISBN number, copyright date, publisher, and whether you need the book formatted in braille or large print. Please click on the link below to access the AU Book Order Planning Form. Fill out the form, save it to your computer, then email the form listed below to email@example.com
AU Book Order Planning Form