Early Literacy Project
What is the Early Literacy Project?
The Early Literacy Project offered through the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind, Outreach Programs, is available to Colorado families with children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, birth through age five years old. Literacy activities are offered in Metro Denver, Northern Colorado and Pikes Peak regions.
Each Early Literacy event provides families with a rich literacy experience and strategies to promote their child’s language and literacy development. Families actively participate in a variety of activities which may include:
- Story time presented in American Sign Language (ASL) with spoken English interpretation
- Music and movement activities
- Hands-on literacy activities
- Take home literacy activities
- Parent education focusing on a variety of topics
- Time to meet and interact with other families who have children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Opportunities to meet adults who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Opportunities to meet professionals serving families with children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
The Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind and its staff respect and value families’ communication choices. Activities are presented using various modes of communication and are designed to encourage a child’s literacy skills.
Families with young children who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing between newborn and through age 5 are welcome to attend.